17 Significant Benefits of Milk for Skin, Hair and Health – Milk is good for us. But have you ever sat down and tried to think deeply, why milk is so good for us? Well, here is a detailed post on the important benefits of milk for our skin, hair and health. Milk is known for its rich calcium content. But apart from that, milk is also the storehouse of vitamin A, B12, D calcium,
Check – 14 Wonderful Benefits of Yogurt for Skin, Hair and Health
Before we get into the details about the benefits of milk, let us first share few facts about milk and how it hold an important place in our daily diet.
What is Milk?
Milk is one of Mother Nature’s wonders which is produced by the mammary glands in the mammals during or soon after pregnancy. Milk is packed with various nutrients which are much needed for the proper functioning of our body. Therefore, dairy nutrition plays an important part in our daily diet. Milk can be sourced from variety of animals including cows, buffaloes, goats, sheep, camels even human. However, cow milk has been most popular across the globe.
Nutritional Facts about Milk
Milk is filled with about nine essential nutrients, which are extremely beneficial for our body. Find them below –
- Protein – Source of energy to do our daily activities as well as important body functions. Also helps in building as well as repairing tissue.
- Calcium – Important for strong bones and teeth.
- Phosphorus – Another important mineral for strong bones. Also generates energy.
- Potassium – Essential mineral for healthy blood pressure.
- Vitamin A – Important for vision as well as maintains immune system. Also contributes to healthy skin.
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) – Transforms food into energy.
- Vitamin B12 – Important to maintain healthy RBC count.
- Vitamin D – Strengthens bones.
- Niacin – Plays a important part in metabolism of sugar and fatty acids.
Along with these nutrients, milk also contains significant amount of lactic acid, biotin, magnesium as well as selenium.
According to experts, one 8 ounce glass of milk can give you the same amount of vitamin D, that you would get from 3.5 ounces of cooked salmon, calcium as much as 2 1/4 cups of broccoli can provide. It also contains the same amount of potassium as a small banana, as much vitamin A as two baby carrots can provide and equal amount of phosphorus that a cup of kidney beans contain.
After discussing about the nutritional facts about milk, lets now find out what are the benefits of milk for skin, hair and health.
Benefits of Milk for Skin
1. Boosts Complexion
This is one of the best beauty benefits of milk. The lactic acid content of milk can be attributed for this. The lactic acid works as a great exfoliator, which removes the dead skin cells, reduces pigmentation and lightens our skin tone. Also, milk comes packed with essential nutrients including, vitamins A, B2, B12 as well as minerals like potassium, calcium, etc. All these together help to enhance the overall beauty and health of our skin. Topical application of milk boosts hydration, exfoliates dead skin cells and helps to achieve healthy, glowing and beautiful skin.
How to use milk to boost complexion?
- Simply apply raw milk all over the face and neck and massage a little. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes. Wash off with plain water and repeat daily to get softer and fairer skin.
- Soak a few saffron strands in 1/4th cup of warm milk overnight. Next morning, add some turmeric powder and combine all the ingredients together. With the help of a cotton ball, apply this mixture all over the face and neck and allow it to sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Repeat twice in a week.
- Combine together two tbsp milk and one tbsp each of lemon juice and honey. Apply the liquid mixture all over the face and neck. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and wash off with fresh water. Reapply 2-3 times in a week.
2. Cleansing Benefits of Milk
Milk, specially raw milk is an excellent natural cleanser for our skin. It contains lactic acid, which belongs to AHA family. Lactic acid dissolves the impurities present on the skin surface and unveils fresher and glowing skin underneath. Apart from cleansing, lactic acid moisturizes the skin, keeps it hydrated and also provides a boost of nourishment to heal dry and rough skin.
How to use milk for skin cleansing?
- Combine together raw milk and honey in 1:1 ratio. Apply the mixture on the face and neck with a cotton ball and keep it on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Repeat everyday.
- Make a paste by mixing together some besan and enough milk. Apply the mixture on the face and neck and massage gently for few minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Repeat daily.
- Put some ripe papaya cubes in a blender. Add 1/4th cup of milk to that. Blend together to make it a paste. Apply the mixture all over the face and neck and wait for 15-20 minutes. While removing, scrub your face in gentle circular motion and wash off with fresh water. Repeat every alternate day.
3. Anti Aging Benefits of Milk
Next comes this one on our list of best skin benefits of milk. Milk contains vitamin B6, which helps in boosting new cell formation and eliminates the signs of early aging. Vitamin D in milk protects our skin from free radicals that often cause premature aging. It also promotes skin elasticity and helps to fade age spots. Vitamin D promotes collagen production and keeps the skin smooth and wrinkle free. Lactic acid in milk also can combat the free radicals and prevent premature aging of skin.
Milk contains a lot of minerals and calcium is one of them. Calcium can boost collagen production, improves skin elasticity and also fights off free radicals. Magnesium is another mineral that can slow down the aging process of the skin. Furthermore, milk contains selenium, which is essential for maintaining youthful skin. It neutralizes the free radical activities, maintains natural elasticity and firmness of the skin and also protects the skin from sun damage.
How to use milk to combat skin aging?
- Combine together two tbsp oatmeal, two tsp sugar and enough amount of milk, so that you get a smooth thick paste. Apply it on the face and neck. Massage for a minute in circular motion. Let it dry naturally. Rinse with luke warm water first and then follow up with few splashes of cold water. Repeat twice in a week.
- Mash one banana in a bowl with the help of a fork. Add some milk to it and mix both the ingredients together to prepare a paste. Apply it on to the face and neck. Massage a little and let the mask sit for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with fresh water. Reapply every alternate day.
4. Moisturizing Benefits of Milk
If you have dry skin, which does not respond to any store bought moisturizers or serums, then go and try milk right now. Milk has amazing moisturizing qualities for our skin. It contains vitamin A, which is known for treating dry, flaky skin and also boosts new skin cells. Vitamin D boosts collagen production and helps in keeping the skin smooth. Vitamin B6 in milk is essential for keeping the skin moisturized and healthy. Moreover, milk contains biotin, which has the ability to revitalize dry, cracked skin and restore skin health. Proteins in milk is essential to get wrinkle free smooth skin, whereas, vitamin B12 also is useful for healing rough skin. Potassium in milk hydrates and moisturizes the skin effectively, whereas calcium and selenium both promote healthy and moisturized skin.
How to use milk to moisturize skin?
- Make a face pack by mixing 1-2 tsp sandalwood powder and enough amount of raw milk. Apply it all over the face and neck and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with fresh water. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Mix together two tbsp aloe vera gel, a pinch of turmeric powder, one tbsp each of milk and honey. Apply the resultant mixture on the face and neck. Massage a little and keep it on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with luke warm water. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Take some oats or some breadcrumbs in a bowl and add required quantity of milk. Mix together to form a paste. Apply it all over the face and neck. Massage the skin gently to remove the dirt and impurities accumulated in the pores. Wash off with luke warm and repeat every alternate day.
5. Soothes Sunburn
The amazing healing benefits of milk has made it one of the best natural remedy for sunburn. Topical application of milk helps to reduce the irritation of the skin and the nutrients present in milk repair the damage from within and restore the skin health. One of the main symptoms of severe sunburn is dry, flaky skin. Vitamin A, biotin as well as potassium present in milk work effectively to heal dry, peeling skin. Moreover, selenium present in milk has the ability to protect our skin from sun damage.
How to use milk to soothe sunburn?
Apply some buttermilk or cold raw milk on the affected parts of the skin. Let it stay for as long as you can. Wash off with fresh water and repeat everyday.
Benefits of Milk for Hair
After discussing about the amazing benefits of milk for skin, its time to learn about the benefits of milk for hair.
6. Stops Hair Fall and Boosts Hair Growth
Milk is a one stop solution for your hair loss problem. It is a powerhouse of protein, vitamins and minerals, which nourish and strengthen the hair follicles and stop hair loss due to lack of nutrients. Additionally, the high protein and healthy fat content in milk stimulate the growth hormone in the hair follicles, which induces new hair growth. The lactic acid in milk can exfoliate the scalp and remove every trace of impurities. Thus it maintains a healthy and clean scalp which furthermore facilitates hair growth.
How to use milk for healthy hair?
Prepare a hair mask by mixing together raw milk, honey and coconut oil in 1:1:1 ratio. Apply on the scalp and massage gently. Let it stay for 20-30 minutes. Rinse off with a gentle shampoo. Repeat 1-2 times in a week.
7. Hair Conditioning Benefits of Milk
Milk is a great natural conditioner for our hair. It comes loaded with vitamins, proteins and minerals that effectively repair damaged, dry hair and restore the natural shine and luster. The lactic acid present in milk help in removing debris from hair strands and make hair softer and smoother. The wonderful hydrating and moisturizing benefits of milk keep the scalp and hair both healthy and happy.
How to use milk for hair conditioning?
Apply cold milk all over the hair with a hair pack brush. Comb the hair gently with a wide toothed comb. Let it stay on the hair for an hour and then, wash off with a mild shampoo. Reapply this once in a week.
Benefits of Milk for Health
Hope you loved knowing about the milk benefits for skin and hair. Below you can check out why milk is beneficial for our health.
8. Promotes Healthy Bones
Milk has amazing health benefits, and this is one of the most significant ones. Milk contains two components which are essential for healthy bones. It has calcium and vitamin D in it both of which help to strengthen bones. Calcium not only promotes bone growth in kids, but it also strengthens bones in adults. Vitamin D is a very important vitamin which our body requires for better absorption of calcium. Since human body cannot synthesis Vitamin D, so its important that our diet must contain food sources of Vitamin D. Milk is a great source of D Vitamin, hence, a must have in your daily diet.
9. Improves Heart Health
Milk is a rich source of calcium. Though calcium is mainly associated with healthy bones and teeth, but this mineral is essential for healthy heart as well. It has been seen that calcium plays a vital role in reducing cardiovascular diseases as well as chances of strokes. Studies have established a co-relation between daily calcium intake and reduction in stroke, hardening of the arteries and other cardiovascular diseases. Furthermore, the potassium and magnesium present in milk has major contribution towards keeping the heart healthy. They reduce blood pressure, increases blood flow to our vital organs and reduce stress from cardiovascular system. Milk contains peptides as well which are known to inhibit the production of certain types of enzymes which can increase blood pressure levels.
10. Can Prevent Cancer
Though a strong medical proof is still not there, but it has been found that milk can be helpful in preventing cancer, specially colorectal and ovarian cancer. Studies have found that vitamin D plays a major role in cancer protection. We know that sunlight is a great source of vitamin D. It has been seen that colorectal cancer is more common in geographic locations which receive least amount of sunlight. Since, milk has significant amount of vitamin D present in this, hence, it is believed to have a positive impact in preventing colorectal cancer. Other studies have found that increased intake of calcium and lactose (the sugar in milk) can be helpful to prevent ovarian cancer.
11. Fights Off Depression
Here comes another massive important health benefits of milk. The number of people suffering from stress and depression is on the rise in today’s world. And we seem to find no way out to deal with such conditions. However, many of us do not know that as simple as a glass of milk can be your savior. The high amount of vitamin D is milk can be attributed to for this amazing health benefits of milk. Adequate amount of vitamin D in human body can boost the production of serotonin hormone. Serotonin is a special hormone which is also known as “feel-good” hormone. It induces a sense of calmness, happiness and also associated with better mood, improved appetite and peaceful sleep.
12. Good for Oral Health
It is very important to encourage kids to drink milk daily because of its numerous health benefits. Once such benefits of milk is this. Milk helps to protect the enamel of our teeth from acidic substances and thus, prevent tooth decay. Calcium present in milk is well known for its ability to promote healthier teeth. And if you want to enjoy all the benefits of calcium, then Vitamin D is must. Vitamin D is required for improved absorption of calcium, and milk contains a good amount of D vitamin. Therefore, don’t forget to grab a glass of milk daily!
13. Weight Loss Benefits of Milk
Milk can support your weight loss routine. According to experts, all the nutrients present in milk that contribute to our overall health, have also the ability to lose excess kilos. In a recent study, it has been found that when young adults consumed milk as their post-gym drink, it helped them to lose more fat and gain more muscle mass than others who consumed different drinks.
14. Energy Booster
Milk is a great energy booster. Feeling tired and low in energy? Grab a glass of warm milk and see the magic yourself! Milk is known as the best energy drink since ages. It is power packed with a number of vitamins, minerals and proteins which help in generating energy and make you feel rejuvenated once again.
15. Improves Hydration
Here comes another supremely important health benefits of milk. It is very important to keep our body adequately hydrated all the time. Fluids are very important to function our body and one must replenish the body with fluids as they are used up while our body performs the daily activities. Our body is primarily made up of water and other fluids and these fluids are super important for every single process in our body. That’s why, dehydration or lack of fluids in our body seems to dangerous as it threatens to stop all the important metabolic functions. Milk contains water molecules which not only replenish the fluid levels, but with its nutritional benefits, milk help to provide a boost of energy and nourishment ti our body.
16. Disease Fighter
Studies have established that consuming milk on daily basis prepares our body to fight a host of diseases. Some of the most well known health benefits of milk is its ability to lower blood pressure and reduce the chances of strokes and other cardiovascular diseases. It can reduce the production of cholesterol and keeps the heart healthy. Moreover, milk can improve our eyesight, thanks to the high amount of vitamin A in it. In fact, studies have established co-relation between consuming milk and reduced risk of developing certain types of cancers.
17. A Wholesome Food
Milk is packed with a variety of vitamins and minerals which are essential for our overall health and well being. A glass of milk provides you with vitamins A and B that contribute to goodand improved red blood cell count. Milk contains carbohydrates which is the source of and energy, as well as proper function, and magnesium for proper muscular function. Milk also comes with phosphorous for which releases energy release, and most importantly, it is one of the best sources of for body which is essential for body tissue repair and growth.
I hope you loved knowing about these amazing health and beauty benefits of milk. Tell us how do you like to have your milk daily?